Milliners can hire hat blocks with minimal costs. The House of Balsam Millinery thanks you for your interest in our hat block hire.
When you are first starting out in your millinery career, hat blocks are difficult to acquire and when you do they are expensive. When you are beginning your millinery career, you may not have the funds or even wish to invest in the purchase of a collection of blocks. This is where the House of Balsam can help you! It is not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on a block that you may not use again.
What we offer
- Over 200 hat blocks
- Use our workroom
- Milliner support
How it works
- Via our website, blocking sessions in the workroom are held regularly
- Call us on 0408 085 863
- Email us at email@example.com
- Visit our modern, airy studio at 45 Grenier Street, Toowoomba, Qld, 4350
Fees and charges
Annual Membership: $60.00. Block membership is paid once every year and you can visit any of the designated Saturdays and only pay the session fee.
Use of Workroom: $30.00 per hour / per person, limit of three (3) persons at any one (1) time and you can use as many blocks as you like.
Hat Blocking Service: $60 per hat – let us block it for you!
Postage: If you are unable to pick up your piece from our store, we are happy to post it for you either standard or express, you decide.
Conditions of hire
- Hat blocks are to remain on site and must not be removed from the studio
- Bookings are essential, so you will need to book a space in our studio. Blocking sessions are available every Saturday
- Only hat blocking pins are to be used, no drawing or tacking pins
- Hat blocks must be signed out by a House of Balsam staff member
- You are most welcome to stay in the studio and work on other hats in the studio whilst hats are drying etc
- Occupational health and safety must be observed in the use and making of hats at the studio. This will be explained to you when you arrive on site. You are responsible for your own safety and must bring your own safety equipment e.g. respirator mask, gloves, goggles etc.
- Closed shoes must be worn at all times for your protection.
- A qualified milliner will be onsite to assist you with your blocking technique or any other queries you may have.
- Hat blocks are very precious items and all care must be taken not to damage the hat blocks. Repair/replacement costs will be charged for any damage sustained to the hat block or hat stand during use.
What is available for use?
- Iron / ironing board
- Hat steamer
- Basic sewing tools
What you need to bring
- Library members are to provide your own glad wrap or alfoil as all blocks are to be covered
- Library members must provide all materials involved in the hat making process. This includes, blocking pins, brushes, stiffener/thinner, blocking cord, spray bottle, apron, thimble, blocking pin pusher and elastic etc.
What if I cannot get to you?
The House of Balsam Millinery is happy to hire hat blocks out for one (1) week.
Cost and deposit
- $10.00 for small buttons
- $45.00 for basic domes
- $55.00 for more shaped blocks i.e. beret, mushroom, fedora etc.
- $65.00 for top hat and puzzle blocks
- $100.00 for brims
A deposit is required which varies between $50.00 to $150.00 depending on the value of the hat block. The security deposit is payable at the time of booking and is returned upon safe receipt of the block. Please pay both deposit and hire fee at the time of booking unless otherwise agreed. Any damage caused to the block whilst on loan is the responsibility of the hirer. If there are any fragile parts on the block, I point these out at the time of booking.
Collection and delivery
If you are based in or around Toowoomba, I prefer you to come into the House of Balsam Millinery at 45 Grenier Street, Toowoomba, Qld, 4350 at a time convenient for both of us. Meeting ensures that the block and deposit is safely exchanged. If this is not convenient for either of us, I am happy to send the block by post upon receipt of the security deposit. Please note that the postal charges and any PayPal charges (waived by bank transfers) are an additional cost for the hire. If the block requires a security deposit of $50.00 or less, I am happy to send the block by regular mail to be signed for. For the more expensive blocks, I require that they be posted via a recognised courier company or registered post to guarantee insurance.